Islam and Christianity – Same or different?
We do not agree with the position expressed by some Christians and Muslims (including those who signed the open “Common Word” letter) that Islam and Christianity are very close and come from the same God, without qualification.
Bearing in mind the very anti-Christian beliefs inherent in the core teachings and scriptures of Islam, which has been binding its billions of followers from seeing the true Light and snatching numerous souls from the Church ever since its ascent 14 centuries ago, we consider such position to be quite inappropriate and misleading, as it blurs, seemingly purposefully, very crucial differences between the basic beliefs of Christianity and Islam, and presents Islam in very rosy light as far closer to Christianity than is actually the case.
In the taking of publicized positions, Christians must act in a spirit of genuine love towards God and other people, including a desire:
- to see God in Jesus Christ glorified among believers and unbelievers
- to help believers discern the Truth from half-truths and falsehood rather than confuse them
- to show unbelievers the true Light so that they may turn away from a path leading to eternal damnation to the only Way to everlasting life.
We are aware there are various plausible perspectives in dealing with the issue of whether Christians and Muslims worship the same God.
We note that:
- Muhammad thought he worshiped, and he sought to worship, the same God as Christians.
- The Quran claimed to come from the same God as Christians.
- Islam claims to be from the same God as Christians.
- Many Muslims think they worship, and they seek to worship, the same God as Christians.
However, Muslims have been lied at, or misled, into believing something wrong.
We believe that:
- Muhammad did not know/find the true way to the true God.
- The Quran is not the true way to the true God.
- Islam is not the true way to the true God.
- Muslims do not know/find the true way to the true God.
- Only Jesus is the true way that can lead people to know the true God.
In relation to Islam, we would express our position clearly and unambiguously that:
- The Quran is not the inspired word of the true God. The Bible is the inspired word of the true God.
- Muhammad is not a true prophet of the true God.
- Islam is not the true way that may lead its believers and followers to heaven or to a relationship with the true God, or to salvation, or to forgiveness of sins. Christianity, that is a belief in and relation with the true, historical Jesus Christ as described in the Bible, is the way that leads its believers and followers to heaven and a relationship with the true God, and to salvation, and to forgiveness of sins.
In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord who died on the cross to redeem us from our sins so that we may live eternally with Him through His resurrection
Chinese section of Answering Islam